Wednesday 4 July 2012

A Fun Filled Day

So it would seem school holidays are super busy in my house! Today I had 5 kids ranging in age from 1 to nearly 8. Had to think of a full days worth of activities that was suitable for the young ones but that I knew the older ones would enjoy too (and well, my older boys really do enjoy preschool activities still anyway, so it wasn't that hard).

Pinterest helped me out with some inspiration (not just for today but for future days too). I got our first main activity's idea from this blog Hands on as we grow - it has so many awesome activity ideas for preschoolers so I urge you to have a good look at their website. I'm going to get a lot of ideas from there I am sure.

So this first activity was using cut up egg cartons, with holes punched in each side, and threading them together with pipe cleaners. All the kids really enjoyed this, and continued to turn the activity into something else.



Mr 7 made a super long train, connecting a few pipe cleaners together, then added a piece of notebook paper and everything into the train. He then drew windows on the "carriages".
Mr 4 made the creation below... I don't think he even knew what it was meant to be, but hey, it kept him occupied for quite some time!
The 2yo's and the 1yo had fun stacking the egg carton bits, and sticking lots of pipe cleaners into each hole.



Overall a successful activity for all ages, putting their own spin on it. Great for their hand eye coordination and their fine motor skills.

We had a great time with water play after that, filling plastic tubs up with warm soapy water and getting out all my large spoons and measuring cups etc.

Later on we did some arty crafty stuff. Nice and easy, and for the American folk I guess it could be a good craft idea for the 4th of July, which is what it happens to be today, coincidentally... can say its fireworks.


AGES ago I bought this bag of shiny confetti for a couple of dollars from one of the dollar stores. It goes a long way, we have done these sort of pictures a lot, and I still have about 90% of the container left! So easy - the kids paint whatever design or blobs they want to on a piece of paper, then tip some confetti over it, and then shake off the excess. Makes a big mess but easy enough to vacuum up, and something even the littlies are capable of doing without much assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment