Monday 1 October 2012

Birthday Season

First we had mr5's birthday about 6 weeks ago, then DH's has just been. For his birthday cake, I dug out my old chocolate mud cake recipe at his request. It is far from dairy free, and never tried to make it dairy free so I do not know if it would work too well - you could find a dairy free chocolate, but no idea if it would turn out with using marg instead of butter - I suspect not. Some recipes just cannot be adapted lol. It is a beautiful cake, very rich! Please excuse the photo quality, I am stuck using my cellphone for pictures at the moment and it has a useless camera on it. Really need to get around to buying myself a new camera!
 
 
 
 
Chocolate Mud Cake
 
250g Butter
1 1/2 cup Hot Water
200g Dark Chocolate (I think I actually put in closer to 250g!)
2c Caster Sugar (I used about 1 1/2c)
1/4 c Cocoa
1Tbsp Instant Coffee
1 1/2 cup Self Raising Flour
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
 
Icing:
 
125g Dark Chocolate
125g Unsalted Butter (I used normal butter... would have tasted nicer with unsalted though)
 
 
Melt the butter with the hot water in a pot over low heat. Add the chocolate and sugar, stirring till smooth.
Gradually beat in the dry sifted ingredients.
Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
Pour into a greased/lined 25cm cake tin.
Bake at 150*c for approx 2.5 hours (I found, baking in my fan forced oven at 120*, It was cooked in less than 2 hours - so do keep an eye on it).
 
Icing:
 
Melt chocolate and butter and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour over cold cake and smooth out.

No comments:

Post a Comment