Sunday 14 October 2012

Happy Birthday to ME!

Friday was my birthday, and my wonderful husband who very rarely attempts to bake (and when he does it is normally a packet mix), baked me a cake. From scratch. It's a cake I had only baked once before myself, for mr 5's birthday a couple of months ago. It was easy, and delicious!
 
Turns out, it was easy enough even for hubby to make it PERFECTLY. It was SO good. Caramel Cake. I am a sucker for anything caramel. Probably my favourite flavour in the whole world. Yum.
 
So yeah, today I share with you the recipe, as promised on my facebook page. It is a great recipe, you must try it. It would make scrummy cupcakes too. It's a dangerous recipe - will make me fat if I keep making it, so I must resist. Instead you guys must give it a go, give me your verdicts :)
 
This recipe was posted on the TradeMe message boards, that is where I originally found it months ago.
 
Excuse the photo, a) it's taken on my phone again (really must go buy a new camera!), and b) I only remembered to quickly snap a pic before we devoured the last couple of pieces!
 
 
 
Caramel Cake

100g Butter (or marg)
1c Sugar
1 Egg
1Tbsp Golden Syrup
1c Milk (or milk alternative... rice milk works fine)
1tsp Baking Soda
1 ½c Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt

Cream butter and sugar. 
Add egg and beat well. 
Melt golden syrup and milk, when warm add baking soda. Add this to creamed mixture. 
Add flour, Baking Powder and salt. 
Pour into prepared tin. 
Bake 180*C (350*F) for 30mins.
 
Icing
2Tbsp Butter
4Tbsp Brown Sugar
1Tbsp Milk
Icing Sugar

Melt butter and Brown sugar together, add milk and bring to the boil. 
Add enough icing sugar to make spreading consistency.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is my downfall I feel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to make this for O and A's lunch boxes, looks nice! :) (Anni)

    ReplyDelete