Thursday 9 February 2012

Spaghetti, Spaghetti Everywhere!

We seem to have a total over supply of tinned spaghetti at present. Like, about 5x more than any sane family needs in one household. So, I am trying to use them up. I am open to suggestions, recipes to try out etc.

Today, I am baking Spaghetti Pinwheel Scones. It's something I often make for the kid's lunches, so thought I would share the recipe with you lot, seeming as I seem to be on a recipe sharing roll. This scone recipe is the easiest scone recipe I have ever come across AND it makes light and fluffy scones, whilst being dairy-free adaptable. Then I have various different fillings I might add to make pinwheels with.

Spaghetti Pinwheel Scones

Scones

125g butter (dairy free marg works fine)
3 Tbsp water
1 cup milk (I find 3/4 cup is plenty, so add slowly! Oh, and rice milk, or other dairy free equivalent is fine)
3 cups flour (I do half/half with wholemeal flour and plain flour, more filling and better for you)
5 tsp baking powder

Filling

Tin of spaghetti in sauce
grated cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 220*c

Sift dry ingredients together.
Melt the butter with the water (I just bung them together in a bowl and microwave on low-medium heat for 45secs - 1min).
Add butter mix and milk to the dry ingredients (add the milk a bit at a time as to not make the mixture too wet)
Mix to a dough with a knife

Roll out on a floured surface into a long rectangle about 1cm thick



Spread the tin of spaghetti over the bottom 3/4 of the rectangle and top with grated cheese (omit if you want to keep it dairy-free, or use a dairy free cheese/soy cheese... I just used normal cheese as my kids can handle small amounts of dairy)


Roll up from the bottom to the top. I use a bit of the tomato sauce from the spaghetti to seal the top fold down.


Slice the roll into approx 1 inch slices and arrange on a baking tray (I spray the tray with oil first)


Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool


Yummy!


Other filling ideas:

Hawaiian Pinwheels
Spread tomato sauce over the bottom 2/3 of the dough. Add chopped onion (optional), chopped bacon and small pieces of pineapple. Sprinkle over grated cheese, roll up, cut and bake (these are my faves!!!)

Cinnamon Pinwheels
Mix 3 Tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over dough. Roll up, cut and bake (nice for a sweet option - add a little sugar to the dough too if you like)

Vegemite and Cheese Pinwheels
A favourite amongst littlies - Spread Vegemite over bottom 2/3 of dough, sprinkle with grated cheese, roll up and bake.

Citrus Pinwheels (This is a filling I stumbled upon that I am yet to try, but sounds so good!)
Zest and juice of 3 medium sized citrus fruits - e.g. 1 lime, 1 lemon, 1 orange, 1 cup of coconut, 1 teaspoon of cornflour
Optional Glazing: Juice of 1-2 citrus fruits, 1/4 cup icing sugar
Grate the citrus zest into a small bowl. Add the juice. Add the coconut and cornflour and mix thoroughly - it should turn into a paste.
Spread the filling over the scone base. Roll up and cut, arrange on tray
If using the glaze, mix the icing sugar with the citrus juice and brush on the tops of the scones, then bake

No comments:

Post a Comment