Wednesday 16 May 2012

Tasty Lunchbox Treat

This is only the 2nd time I have made these, and I don't know why I don't make it more often! It's sort of a cross between a cake and a slice. It's a flat cake really lol! You could nearly kid yourself into thinking it's healthy, as it contains vegetables! The original recipe calls them "bars" but I call it a slice. Call it what you like, it's YUM!




Carrot and Courgette Slice courtesy of Real Mom Kitchen

2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I haven't made it with walnuts yet as I don't keep them handy)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda


  1. Preheat oven to 180*c. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla. Don’t worry about clumps of the brown sugar, those will dissolve as it sits while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Then fold in the carrot, courgette, and walnuts
  2. In another bowl combine add the flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda. Whisk to blend together.
  3. Add to flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir just until combined. Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (or I just used a square silicone cake pan)
  4. Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
  5. Ice with lemon icing

Now, the original recipe used cream cheese icing on top. Oh, and it's all prettily piped on. Well I don't use cream cheese icing for obvious reasons (it's not dairy free), so I just make up a basic lemon icing using literally just icing sugar and lemon juice (I eyeball it sorry, can't specify quantities). If you don't like the strong lemon flavour you can use less lemon and use another liquid (orange juice, water, milk, whatever).







No comments:

Post a Comment