Monday 11 June 2012

Baking up a storm

Decided to whip up a quick batch of muffins yesterday so there was something to throw into the kids lunch boxes this week. I snuck one, and YUM.

It was just a quick adaptation from my choc chip muffins - instead of chocolate chips, I threw in a tin of drained tinned fruit salad. And then I sprinkled some dark cane sugar on top (simply because I have a bag of it here that I got free ages ago and never use it!). I really do love that recipe! Did I mention it was quick and easy? Haha. But seriously, the muffins are just so good. MMMmmmMMmMMM




Fruit Salad Muffins

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
100g butter (or margarine), melted
3/4c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c milk (or milk alternative)
1 tin of fruit salad, thoroughly drained


Preheat oven to 220*c. Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon until just mixed.

Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake for 12-15mins.
And then today, just now, I decided to try a recipe I found in The Healthy Food Guide magazine that is lying about the house at the moment. Biscuits! As you might have noticed, I rarely make biscuits. I don't know why, but they annoy me haha. I find them fiddly and annoying. But these ones were quick to whip up, and were ready and waiting by the time the oven got to temperature. You could do them in 1 bowl too, the cheats way, but I followed the recipe as is simply because I didn't read through it before making it haha. (I often skip the mixing of the dry ingredients together, just skip to the 2nd bowl and do the wet ingredients, then dump all the dry on top and stir it all in, still works and less dishes haha).
Chocolate Chip and Spice Orange Cookies
1 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
115g reduced-fat spread
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp mixed spice
1 orange, zest
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 190*c. Line baking tray with baking paper.
  2. Mix oats, flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl (or just skip this step if you like)
  3. In another bowl beat sugar, spread, egg, vanilla, spice and orange zest together.
  4. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture to just combine (or just measure the first lot of ingredients directly into the wet ingredients, then stir to combine).
  5. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon mixture on tray leaving space in between for spreading while cooking.
  6. Cook for 12-15minutes or until golden at the edges and firm to touch. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from tray. Cool completely then place in a sealed container to keep for up to 2 days.
If you make the above recipe into 14 biscuits, then each biscuit will be 125 calories. Not too bad.

And ooooooooooh my god they are divine! Wow. Just ate one after typing out the recipe. Still warm from the oven. YUM YUM YUM! Alright, this is going to be a semi regular feature in this house!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I just made the muffins with pineapple and coconut. Probably added too much coconut but they were super yummy. Peach and coconut would also be nice..

    Think I'll devour another :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh peach and coconut sound delish, will have to try that!

      Delete
  2. I just made the chocolate chip and spiced orange cookies - so very good! They remind me of jaffas, and everybody in the house was back for a second helping before they were cold.

    ReplyDelete