Sunday 18 November 2012

Bring a plate? No worries!

Lately there have been many times that I have had to bring a plate to various events, or having people over last minute and need something quick and easy to throw together. I try to also have some sheets of puff pastry in the freezer, as they are so handy! I have even thrown a variation of these together before kindy once when one of the kids had a shared lunch I had forgotten about (and I only have about an hour from waking to getting the kids out of the house in the mornings!).
 
Puff Pastry Pinwheels. They are YUM. My fave adult version using ingredients I always have on hand are Pizza Puff Pinwheels. I shall share with you the recipe below.
 
 
 
Pizza Puff Pinwheels
 
Puff Pastry Sheets (2 or 3 is a good amount)
Tomato Paste
Bacon (cooked first, brings out the flavour more) or Ham, or Salami
Grated Cheese
and optional - crushed pineapple
 
Thaw the pastry sheets (or heck if you are really clever, make your own... so far I'm not that clever.. actually, I've just never tried!)
Spread tomato paste over the entire surface. A good thick amount for flavour.
Layer on the bacon/ham/salami leaving about an inch gap at the top free. Repeat with the cheese (and pineapple if you are doing pineapple).
Then roll the pastry from the bottom to the top, trying to keep the rolls as tight as possible, using the tomato paste to help stick it together at the top. Slice thinly (about 1cm), lay flat on a baking tray and bake at approx 200*c for around 10 minutes or until the pastry is cooked through.
 
 
Variations:
 
Vegemite and Cheese
 
Cheese and Onion
 
Jam with a sprinkling of Sugar
 
Cream Cheese and Herbs
 
 
Frankly, the list is endless with different variations you can try. The ones above are just ones I am more likely to throw together because of their quick and easy - and cheap - ingredients. If you Google I am sure a whole world of puff pinwheel recipes will be revealed!

No comments:

Post a Comment