Thursday 22 March 2012

Another Baking Post

Yeah yeah, I know, lately I haven't been doing much other than baking. Life has been a bit busy for craft stuff, and I haven't done much kid stuff worth blogging about lately! But alas, I bake a lot, and people seem to like my recipes, so I share a lot...

This week I made some ginger slice off the Weetbix website. It's my favourite ginger slice recipe because it's so easy, and I like how the base is more of a chewy base instead of a crunchy base. Oh, and it's a good way to use up the weetbix crumbs at the bottom of the box. On their website they post hints and tips of the recipe too - oh and browse the rest of their recipes too, they have heaps and they are all really quite good.

But for you lazy ones who can't be bothered clicking another link to get to the recipe, here it is:




Weetbix Ginger Slice

  • 100g margarine
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ¾ cup coconut
  • 1 ½ cups crushed Sanitarium Weet-Bix
  • ¾ cup white flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons powdered ginger

Icing

  • 2 tablespoons margarine (3 or 4 Tbsp)
  • 4 teaspoons golden syrup (6 or 8 tsp)
  • 1 cup icing sugar (1.5 or 2 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon of Ground Ginger (1.5 or 2 tsp)
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. In a large saucepan melt margarine, golden syrup and sugar together.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, blending well.
  3. Press into a greased 20cm x 30cm slice pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. While hot, mark into squares. Then ice once cool, with hot icing.
  4. Icing: Place margarine and golden syrup into saucepan and melt. Blend in icing sugar and ginger, and pour over base, while still warm.

Now, when I made this this time around, I did 1.5x the recipe for the icing - and it was still not a very thick icing. Last time I did the icing recipe as above, and I found it wasn't even enough to cover the whole slice in a thin layer. Next time I will double the recipe. I have added my recommendations in purple above as 1.5x and doubled... if you are too lazy to do it yourself haha! Otherwise I didn't make any changes to the recipe - it was already dairy free! Bonus!

Oh, and I can never cut this slice as cleanly as they have cut it on their website lol! But it's delish. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I like your blog and wanted to invite you to join a new direcetorio www.recipebyday.com blogging recipes where you just have to register your blog and appear links to your recipes for you to increase your visits. Regards and Thanks. If you have any questions you can contact me.

    ReplyDelete