Tuesday 3 April 2012

Cinnamon Goodness

I have always been a sucker for cinnamon rolls. So when I was browsing Pinterest one day looking for freezer biscuits recipes (as per my 101 Challenges thing), I came across this one.

I made up the dough last week to keep in the freezer for when needed. Tomorrow I am going to a coffee get together, and figured I would bake the biscuits today to bring with me to share (I'm less likely to scoff them all by myself that way you see!).




Cinnamon Roll Biscuits



1/2 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter (dairy free spread has worked fine)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg white
1 T water



Directions:

1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, butter, salt and vanilla. Add the flour, stirring to make a cohesive dough. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
2. Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Roll it into a 9x12 inch rectangle. Whisk egg white with water until foamy, and brush on the surface of the rolled dough.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle it evenly over the dough. Starting with the long end, roll the dough into a log, sealing the edge. Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 180*c. Remove the dough from the freezer and unwrap it. Using a sharp knife, gently cut it into 1/2-inch slices. Transfer them to a baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool. Drizzle with a glaze if desired (I was too lazy to bother).

Yield: 2 dozen cookies (or in my case, nearly 30, though I admit 2 cookies didn't make it from the freezer to the oven as they fell into my mouth and accidentally got eaten).
Right, well this is a DEFINITE keeper this recipe. OMG soooooo yum! And so bloody easy. I'm going to make sure I always have cookie dough in the freezer now, just thinking of all the times it would be so handy - school shared lunches, picnics, people dropping over for coffee, behind on normal baking so whip some of these out for the kids etc etc. YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, finally had a spare minute this afternoon and checked out your website. Have added mine. Looks like an awesome website, I have shared it on my facebook page :)

    ReplyDelete